OFF: "musicians made drug use look tempting?" ^_~ =koff=

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Nov 23 11:54:39 EST 1999

Chuck Rosenberg writes:

> In a message dated 11/22/99 10:38:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK writes:
>
> > Wonder how many
> >  > of 'em take prozac [probably a lot, eh?] valium etc...
> >
> >  I also saw on libernet today that a Colorado School District wants to
> >  limit the prescription of psychoactive drugs such as prozac and ritalin
> >  to students. This is a result of the discovery that in almost all recent
> >  school shootings, at least one of the perpetrators has been taking such
> >  drugs.
>
> Whoa, whoa: Prozac, if I'm not mistaken, is prescribed for
> depression/anxiety/obsessive-compulsive disorder. A bi-cyclate, or one of
> those groups. And valium for anxiety/insomnia. These aren't psychoses, eh.

Those and Luvox (sp?) are of concern because of disinhibition effects
and because Luvox allegedly causes violent feelings in 4% of users.

There's something amiss when 6 million kids are on psychoactive drugs
for "Attention Deficit Disorder" and hyperactivity. When I grew up that
was "Won't pay attention" and "won't behave" and schoolteachers had very
direct ways of dealing with this. These "diseases" may exist, but I
seriously doubt they exist in these numbers. I reckon the problem is bad
parenting and (even at the risk of coming off as a conservative) parents
putting their own convenience before the lives of their kids when
considering separation and divorce.

I find it completely bizarre that the same society which foisted the War
on Some Drugs on the rest of the civilised world manages to sedate so
many of its kids on other Drugs of Choice.

FoFP