HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Sun Nov 21 10:15:59 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Andy Gilham wrote:

> > Isn't there a tendency to rubbish anybody doing a front(wo)man role in HW
> > post-Calvert?
>
> I suppose there is, but that's just because Bob was the best, and a real
> one-off.  Ron's a likeable bloke, but he's no Calvert.

        I think Calvert and Lemmy are Ron's twin downfalls. He has had to
try and fill both their shoes at once and he has come across at every gig
I've seen him at since he picked up the bass as being unsure of himself. I
think he's much more a Nik-style frontman than a Bob-style one, and when
Nik's on-stage too he's got nothing to do at all. He is actually playing
some damn good bass these days it seems to me, but all the crowd wants is
Lemmy or Alan. I can see Ron getting sick of it all soon. Which to my mind
would be a pity as he's contributed more material over recent years than
anyone else since Alan left, at least that can be played live.

        Case in point, handing over the bass to Dibs at Shepherd's Bush
1997, with words something like, "Let's let someone who can actually play
bass have a go"; I mean, what? Dibs may know more HW basslines than Ron
does but he plays worse than Harvey... Yours,
                                                Jon