HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Bernhard Pospiech bernhard.pospiech at HOME.INS.DE
Sun Nov 21 08:44:18 EST 1999

>> >1981 - 1982
>> The 1980 sound continues but is going harder and faster. I like Martin
>> Griffins powerfull drumplaying. Highlight is the Rainbow gig on 18.12.1981
>> Unfortunately Nik Turner returns in mid 1982 and is starting Hawkwinds
>> musically descent!!!!
>
>Powerful drumplaying? He played like a robot, always the same tempo.
Hey, you're talking about DANNY THOMPSON, aren't you ?

>> >1985
>> Nik Turner's sacked and the spaceship Hawkwind is rising again.
>
>Though I think the Chronicle album would have been much better with Nik.
He wrote
>some songs for the records which I´d love to hear some day.

I disagree! With NT the Live Chronicals would have been a totally punk
disaster
with chaotic sax-playing

>All shows were the same then, no place for improvisations or longer tracks.
There was no need for improvisations. It was a great tour with a theme
(Elric).

>> >1988
>> Great April and December 1988 tour with very good sound. Hawkwind back on
>> course!
>
>The arrival of Chadwick was the turning point!
The best drummer HW ever had!!

>I totally agree. Simon House is/was the best musician ever in HW. And the
89 gigs
>were their spaciest gigs - just perfect space rock. 10 years later they
captured
>the same spirit again in Milton Keynes.
I agree. Simon and Harvey fit very good to the current lineup.
The only intruder was Ron Tree

>> >1992
>> Phantastic tour in May as a trio. Powerfull with new material.
>> Highpoint was SECRET AGENT
>
>No, it was LSD (or: My trouser´s are tripping, as Alan introduced this
song in
>91)
:-))) LSD was good, but SECRET AGENT was better (see: 19.05.1992)

>> >1993
>> The 1992 story coninues
>
>But with more and more pre-programmed and sequenced stuff which again
leaves not
>much place for improvisation.
Thats true!

>Harvey should join them too so that we would have our favourite 89 line-up
again,
Arrrgh! How could I forget Harvey. Of course he should me a member of the
new lineup!!

Bernhard