HW in oxford

M S Wright M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK
Wed Nov 10 06:18:56 EST 1999

Last night in the Oxford zodiac HW played, supported by Harvey.

Harvey noodled for a bit, and played Freefall (well, he sang it over a
bass track, whilst noodling on 3 keyboards). He also did Dreamworker.

Hawkwind started at 9:12, with Jerry at the far left, Ron next to him
being thin and daubed, playing a headless bass. Behind him was the drum
kit, with Richard mainly hidden. Simon House stood between the drums and
Dave's keyboards, which Dave hid behind mst of the night, even though he
played a lot of guitar.

They seemed to enjoy themselves, but it wasn't in my top 50 of HW gigs.
Still, I'm glad I went, but to my taste it was one of the worst since Nik
was blaring his tuneless sax all over everything in the early 80s.
However, that's just me. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work for me, but
it just didn't flow or interact as well as they usually do.

The set list was along the lines of (and here my talent for not
remembering song titles will not help accuracy)

Aerospaceage Inferno
Ron declaims a poem, about photosynthesis and living on a sphere
Motorway City
Assualt and Battery/Golden Void
during GV Ron's bass string broke, which didn't help, and Richard seemed
to be playing a drum machine, another thing which didn't improve this
version.
A new song(?) with the phrase Can you feel it
Arrival in Utopia, with a spoken bit that included the cadillac line from
utopia 84. There was also the bass lines from paranioa and flying doctor
before ending with AiU.
Hassan, with a lovely violin intro
Another new song (to me) Space time, fire manifestation something or other
High Rise (a highlight of the set for me)
Blue Skin
Brainstorm, with Rizz who had arived in the venue during Blue Skin.
They finished at 10.33, and encored for 6 minutes with
Right Stuff and the Gremlin.

Dibbs was present but didn't play. Dave said the plan was for Harvey to
play with them, but the stage was too small for him, but he would tonight.

At the gig I picked up a copy ofr Glastonbury 90 for 12 pounds. Who knows
what the correct listing is, because what is on the cover bears no
relation to what I heard. They also had the Cllector Series Vol 2:Live
1982 double for 18 pounds. I also got the Spacehead 'in space we trust
live 95-98' for 10 pounds.

Mike w