BOC/OFF: Repercussion of a bad musical trip

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 25 12:15:20 EST 1999

>> From:          Stephen Swann <swann at PLUTONIA.COM>
> Carl Edlund Anderson writes:
> >
> > On tor 25 mar 1999 11.16 +0000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> > > i did in fact have a "rap phase" about 10-15 years ago (he said,
> > > ducking and covering)
> >
> >      Well, there goes your street cred ;)
> >
> >      But, in fact, I remember someone on this list once admitted
> > to being an Iced-T fan.  Not you, Steve, was it? ;)
>
> I'm not a "fan" of rap.  I happen to like some stuff by Ice-T
> (although I prefered the heavy metal album he did with his band Body
> Count).  I've also heard some stuff by Rage Against the Machine that I
> liked (even if they are millionaire Hahvahd-graduate poseurs).  ;-)
> And I've liked a few of the rap/metal blendings of bands like
> Faith No More...
>
> In general, I don't like music "by genre", and more and more often,
> I'm finding that I don't even like it "by group".  I tend to like
> songs (sometimes albums) on an individual basis.

Reminds me of the opinion of Richard Thompson [recently discussed
here...And, BTW, why aren't you guys on the RT list?] when they asked
him what he thought of rap.  He said [paraphrased] that if there had
only been one rap record, that it would have been astoundingly
brilliant, but that everyone else seemed to be copying the first
attempts.

Personally, this old dino digs rap--in small doses, and when the
singers are actually talking about something substantial--kind of the
same attitude I have toward rock.  The 'let's get drunk and bang in
my limo' shit doesn't do it for me [unless it's by Monster Magnet, of
course] but the 'political' rap is great.  Also, I'm more drawn to
rap that actually has some instrumentation in it rather than the
scratching stuff...

theo