HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Mar 23 17:13:34 EST 1999

>In a message dated 3/20/99 6:59:41 PM, mordru at FLITE.NET writes:
>
><<They botched the lyrics on 'Spirit of the Age', but I still love this
>version,
>if they'd nailed the lyrics right it would be my favorite version.
>>>

>the first version of "spirit of the age" had entirely different lyrics than
>what appeared on "quark" etc.  <<--that whole "android replica" passage had
>been around in recitations since '71

I still think this was a mess-up, though.

In the Quark version, the lines:

...my test-tube brother's voice
There is no choice between us
if you had ever seen us
you'd rejoice in your uniqueness
and consider every weakness
something special of your own
being a clone, I have no flaws...

somehow seem to skip key lines, including the ones that rhyme
with each other, Live '79:

...my test-tube brother's voice
there is no choice between us
and you'd rejoice in your uniqueness
being a clone, I have no flaws to identify...

I honestly think he bungled it and skipped lines, and everyone
just played through it.

Also, somehow "20 telepathic men" became "20,000 telepathic men",
but that's inflation for you.