HW: Live 79 (An invit

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 22 12:16:21 EST 1999

Mark Edmonds writes:

> Lighthouse... Captain's Log... Stardate 456, We are now approaching craft
> of extra terrestial origin.... Sheesh, who can say those lyrics with a
> straight face? I think Tim was a great synth player and added a real
> special touch to the sound but his singing and lyrics left a lot to be
> desired. Good job they didn't include New Jerusalem as well.

No argument about Tim's lyrics and certainly not his singing but when he
put it through a vocoder (?) it didn't come out too badly and certainly
not any worse than Lemmy or Alan. If you listen to the live tapes of
that year you'll see that the NJ track had a lot of energy and Tim's
voice was low enough in the mix that it wasn't a problem. This track
would have been much better than Lighthouse.

Of course that one wasn't a patch on the instrumental version from
Waterfalls In Space. If he'd released a studio version of NJ along those
lines he'd have knocked Tangerine Dream (their then effort was Tangram)
off the map.

> Silver Machine... Yeah! This kicks off to a real storm and should have
> been kept in its entirety. Nice explosion. Funny joke about the washing
> machine eh? hoho. If they wanted to kill off Silver Machine, then what on
> earth was that drab dirge we got from CyM?

A searching question indeed. In some ways I'm surprised that when they
were doing remixes in the early 90's they didn't do one of SM. After
all, if the Orb could do it...

> Despite all this, I still wish Dave or someone would release the *entire*
> gig, warts 'n' all

ObSheridan: Abso'fraggin'lutely.

Since Dave has this Hawkwind Passports thing going for fan only Cd
releases maybe we ought to start an email petition for Double Live '79.

FoFP