HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

Sat Mar 20 12:59:17 EST 1999

On lör 20 mar 1999 17.27 +0000 andrew <andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
wrote:
> Why do people love Live 79 so much? I have *never* been as embarrassed
> listening to HW album as i am listening to the clumsy synth ploddings on
> Shot Down in the Night. No, to be accurate, i am not embarrassed by any
> other HW release. From this low it does at least rise to mediocrity with a
> few fairly innocuous versions of old faves. To my ears though the whole
> thing (with the exception of Lighthouse which really does shine brightly -
> and would do so whatever it was surrounded by) is as eventful as anything
> released during the ratheer irksome New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.

     Gee, and I thought "Shot Down in the Night" was *excellent* :)
while I found "Lighthouse" sort of a non-event.  That said, I
thought the "Brainstorm" on _Live 79_ was extrordinarily lame.
But, as Steve S. points out, the "Silver Machine" has an excellent
start before, sadly, it blows up!

     I certainly didn't like the album enough to bring it to
the UK with me though.  I've got the early stuff, the recent
stuff, a Calvert comp, and (Andy's favorite ;)  _Live Chronicles_ :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson