Off: 101 adjectives

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Fri Mar 12 16:35:21 EST 1999

At 12:54 PM 3/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
Man oh man, this is gettin' zany!
>From the experience of just examining Hawkwind c.v. alone, the good/bad
argument on singers/lyrics/music etc. just goes up in a puff of exhaust
from a spaceship because no one agrees cross the board but all like
Hawkwind. So it goes that all like rock music in the most pretheoretical
sense. Yep... uh huh.

>Anyone who doesn't base their lyrics on the absurd overblown ravings of
>spiteful literary hack / bad armchair philosopher Ayn Rand?  (sorry, any
>right-wing libertarians on the list can flame me via PERSONAL Email,
>please; and if anyone has ever read a book worse than 'Atlas Shrugged' -
>I'd love to hear about it)  Robert Calvert or Richard Meltzer, for instance.

Reminds me of the into of the de cape press' '85 Edition for r.Meltzer's
Aethetics of Rock .. book is either a colossal joke or not pending who
tries to read it al lthe way through. Back cover simultaneously plaeces it
on the top ten worst and best rock books.  On the issue of Atlas Shrugged,
its not the smoothest fiction on the market I'll grant ya that. But the
story's premise is kinda neat. Calvert I htink would have had an
intersesting version of it considering his Sonic Attack.

>And while we're on the subject - male singers with weird high-pitched
>voices don't *have* to be annoying, as long as they don't screech.  David
>Thomas (Pere Ubu) and Fred Cole (a zillion bands over the last 30+ years,
>from the Weeds to Dead Moon) are two of my favorite rock singers, but their
>voices are definitely an acquired taste.  At least they sound like weird
>guys, not like castratti.
All i have to say is this: beware of weird castratti. Sort like Thys van
Leer of Focus with his now "classic" yodelling in "Hocus Pocus." At least
that guy knew its hsouldn't be seriously considered and kept mainly to
noodling on Hammond B3 and flute.

Shut up and play yer guitar,
Jason