New to the list

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Fri Jun 25 13:25:32 EDT 1999

> Sounds like a lot of Hawkwind fans out there.  I guess I'll have to
> give them a listen myself.  Anybody recommend a good starting album?

Personally, I have two albums ("Space Ritual" and (I think its called)
"Silver Machine" and am still unconvinced. Just not my cup of tea I guess..
I still keep my eye open for one of the later efforts or perhaps the "Live
Chronicles" (guessing at title once again..) before completely writing them
off.

> So what about the BOC fans?  Any of you guys out there?  Come on,
> tell me your favorite albums, and songs.  Tell me something about
> Susie Dear, that I didn't already know.  Who has seen them the most
> in concert around here?  I realize I am probably initiating
> conversations that have already taken place before I joined, but I am
> very interested in finding out what other people think.  Most of the
> people around here haven't even heard of BOC.  Then I play them
> "Don't Fear the Reaper" and they say, "oh yeah, I've heard that song
> before!"  So I need some comradery.  Any takers?

Ok, you asked for it..

1st concert: October '74 (I believe it was the Secret Treaties tour.. I
remember seeing them again the following year and Eric saying to the
audience, "We're recording live tonight for our upcoming live album so
everyone make alot of noise!". We did.. (no song from that show made it onto
the album OYFOOYK)

I have seen the approximately 18 - 20 times since then.

I was a proud owner of the original lyric sheets (printed on lined green
computer paper) which you could send away for just an SASE (as advertised on
my copy of Secret Treaties). Damn but I wish I knew whatever happened to
those..

Favorite Album: "Secret Treaties" with "Cultosaurus Erectus" being a close
second and my favorite among what I consider to be the "latter days" of BOC
(Post AOF, I guess). I give "Imaginos" honorable mention here.. I would
possibly put in the #1 slot but its not really a true BOC album (see the
FAQ).

Favorite song: Thats tough... "Career of Evil", "Black Blade", "Shooting
Shark", "Blue Oyster Cult" (the re-working of "The Subhuman" that appears on
"Imaginos"), "Mistress of the Salmon Salt" ..and damn it.. Mind fade! Whats
the first song on side 2 of Mirrors?, you know, "I've got a camera.. and a
lead tight alibi"... Can't think of it for the life of me though its a one
of their greatest, IMO. Help me out here!

I got to meet Eric, Buck, Joe and Allen after a show in San Diego around, oh
'90 - 92" (when Joe was still in the band, anyway.., what year did he
leave?)

Greatest BOC moment? 1975, being mesmerized by BOC (and certain chemicals)
during the final part of "Flaming Telepaths",  (".. and the joke's on YOU!)
that seemed to go on forever and completely blew me away.. One of my most
intense musical moments ever which I will always remember..

JB