OFFish: Nik Turners all stars

nigel.kew nigel.kew at VIRGIN.NET
Fri Jun 11 16:23:53 EDT 1999

For those that are interested I saw Nik and his all stars going under name
Cubano Kickasso on Tuesday.

It was held in a public house in the barbican area of plymouth (which is
nice) but unfortunately it a bit out the way. Publicity for the event was
very poor consisting a brief mention in the local paper and one poster
outside the venue itself.

If you are wondering about the extended dit on the locale, I'm just setting
the scene for when I arrived with 2 mates 15 mins before the programmed
start time of 2200. Any way we turned up to find the Lord of Hawks on stage
playing to 3 people. This turned out to be a false start he was just sound
checking so once he disappeared copiuos amount s of ale were consumed,
whilst approx. 20 other people turned up.

Nik kicked off abit later with some top acid/funk/jazz but since it all
seems pretty similiar to me especially after several ales I could not tell
you what they were except that it rocked.

During the interval I had a chat with him and he's been busking in south
Wales for the past couple of years and is just doing a bit of a tour prior
to signing a new record deal, he didn't say who with.

During the first half as a bit of a wheeze I called out for 'washing
machine' the old NT classic live piss take of you know what, but Nik didn't
hear me correct and during the interval slapped on both the new remix of SM
and the original.

The second half kicked off a bit more rock and roll and dancing was seen to
occur, later I stagger my weary way home by no means in possesion of all my
faculties.

Basically a top gig marred only by the poor turn out from the janners and
pointed heads who obviously fail in the good music appreciation department.

To anyone who has made it down here thanks for listening, sorry could not
give a detailed critical judgement on the gig but jazz is not normally my
thing but I did have a top time in the presence of a master of reality.

(I make bombs in my cellar)