OFF: Monster Magnet

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 10 06:35:16 EST 1999

> From:          Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
> On ons 10 feb 1999 01.34 +0000 andrew <andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
> wrote:
> > what are Monster Magnet like these days? i ve got superjudge which i think
> > is okay and tab 25 which i think is just _so_ fuckin cool, but have no
> idea
> > what else they've done..
>
>      The follow-ups to _Superjudge_ are _Dopes to Infinity_ and last
> years _Powertrip_.  The production has become increasingly slick in
> Wyndorf's (entirely successful) attempt to give the band broader
> appeal.  Opinions vary (I like the new stuff, plenty of others
> don't) but long sprawling sludgefests like "25 ... Tab" you definitely
> won't find!  Wyndorf seems to be zooming off (or perhaps further) into
> some kind of rock-star ego-land, though, and it's unclear whether the
> band will survive that.
>
>      _Powertrip_ has certainly garnered record sales and popular
> accalim though.  I was stunned to hear _Metal Hammer_ magazine
> (UK) had made it their album of the year.

Powertrip is the only MM disc I have, but I really like it!  Crop
Cirlce is a great tune.  Since I'm not a HW fan, I can't say if MM
would appeal, but it certainly strikes a chord with the BOC fan in
me.  REgarding Wyndof's ego, the Guitar World feature last month
talks a lot about how the band was almost starving, with everyone but
Wyndorf having to work day jobs to get by.  DAve made it clear that
Powertrip was a calculated effort to achieve some commercial success,
but he was definitely going for the rock star trip at the same time.
It's a great article, BTW...

theo