HW: Daze

Sen. Volstead antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Tue Aug 24 15:38:11 EDT 1999

Dan Witt wrote:

> Just got back from sd99, thought I'd post a bit.  Great event, probably
> as good as the 97 festival.  Friday night Tribe of Cro had already been
> a lost cause but then Helios Creed pulled a no-show, real bummer both
> bands didn't make it.  But, luckily Born To Go were good and ready to
> Go, and they did get on stage and go and go and go, really classic
> crunching spacerock that went on for a full two hours(which included a
> 20+ minute "Orgone Accumulator"), great songs too, "Spacerock City"
> brought a grin to my face.  Alien planetscapes played a good rocking set
> this year, not as jazzy previous years.  Of course Saturday was Nik
> headlining, another great show.  Nik played Sonic Attack, Brainstorm,
> Freefall, Anubis, Watching the Grass Grow, D-rider, Ejection, Master of
> the Universe, You Shouldn't do That, and maybe one or two that eludes
> me.  After the show Nik appeased the audience with solo sax versions of
> Silver Machine, The Right Stuff, Space Invaders, I'm a Bad Egg(?),

Black Egg I believe (?).I got Silver Machine on tape! (and possibly some of
the other ones are elsewhere on the cassette. what a riot!) That was such a
great show! The projections were great, though it was difficult to choose
between staring almost straight up at the "screen", and Nik's outrageous
costume. What I loved particularly was the stock footage of fighter jets (no
starfighters though i noticed : )) during Ejection. Being the first time
ever seeing Nik Turner, i have to say it was overwhelming.