OFF: Primordial Undermind

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Aug 6 15:20:13 EDT 1999

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:29:14 -0400, Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
queried:
>I spotted a CD in the used racks by The Primordial Undermind today.  It
>was called (if memory serves) _Yet More Wonders of the Invisible World_.
>I seem to recall them mentioned on BOC-L recently.  Is this CD worth
>picking up???

Hi Paul, that's the first Primordial Undermind album (number two is 'You
And Me And The Continuum', and number three is 'Universe I've Got', due out
next month).  I'd recommend picking it up if you're already familiar with
the Crystalized Movements, the band that main Underminder Eric Arn was in
before forming his own band (members of the Crystalized Movements later
went on to be in Vermonster, Magic Hour [w/Damon & Naomi ex-Galaxie 500],
and currently Major Stars).  It's good guitar psych, both driving and
droning; not as poppy as much of the Bevis Frond stuff, not as
wild/excessive as Japanese psych like Fushitsusha or High Rise.  And
recorded/released well before I joined the band, so I can comment on it
somewhat objectively :^).

For information on the upcoming Primordial Undermind album (which should be
out before the tour), head over to:
http://www.cameraobscura.com.au/cam032.htm and take a look at the photo of
my ugly mug.

Most of the tour dates are now finalized, although I'll probably post them
again in the first week of September, right before we head out.  I would
*highly* recommend the east coast shows to everyone on the list, especially
for Overhang Party, who will be have psychedelic master guitarist Michio
Kurihara in the band.  His expressive and melodic leads, though most
heavily influenced by John Cippolina, should appeal to BÖC fans as well
(since that band has one of the most expressive and melodic lead guitarists
I've ever heard...).

    Primordial Undermind Tour '99

Sun   9/12   San Francisco   Bottom of the Hill (w/Tribes of Cro)
Tues  9/14   Salt Lake City  ?
Weds  9/15   Iowa City       ?
   + Salamander (Minneapolis):
Thurs 9/16   Minneapolis     400 Bar
   + Salamander, Overhang Party (Japan):
Fri   9/17   Pittsburgh      Stevenson Theater
Sat   9/18   Philadelphia    Khyber Pass (Insidious Spectacle Fest)
Sun   9/19   NYC             a Bronx loft
Mon   9/20   Somerville      Abbey Lounge (w/Major Stars?)
Tues  9/21   Jamaica Plain   Milky Way
Weds  9/22   Easthampton     Flywheel Collective
Thurs 9/23   Albany          The Loft
Fri   9/24   Rochester       Bug Jar
Sat   9/25   Detroit         Detroit Contemporary Gallery
Sun   9/26   Cleveland       Speak in Tongues (w/Fuzzhead?)
Mon   9/27   Chicago         Empty Bottle
Tues  9/28   Madison         ?

If any of you make it to one of these shows, be sure to say "hi" to the guy
with the violin (that's me!).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com