OFF: OB: Molly Hatchet, Skynyrd,....

Thu Jun 25 10:40:28 EDT 1998

--On tor 25 jun 1998 15.27 +0100 "Chris Bates" <C.D.Bates at SHU.AC.UK>
wrote:
Carl wrote, re Skynyrd's _TLR_:
>>      The rest of that album was pretty grim though, IMO.
>
> Is this a common opinion or what? TLR, the song is most excellent
> as I believe the young people used to say. In fact I like most of
> TLR, the album apart from some risible country ballad about God and
> crosses and suchlike tomfoolery <ducks :->

     That opinion was "IMO"--no idea what common opinion may be.  But
I though _TLR_ the album was pretty forgetable.  In fact, I pretty
much gave up on modern Skynyrd there.  The seemed to be aiming to
a more MORish, "new country" kinda audience and were drifting away
from ass-kicking guitar rock (of which there had still been plenty
on _1991_ which, IMO, was a great album).
     I figured there were lots of vaguely bland country-rock acts,
but few southern/country tinged guitar rockers--that was Skynyrd's
strength.

     BTW, anyone heard of Alabama Thunderpussy?  They have an album
_Rise Again_, which is supposed to come over like a collision between
early Sabbath and Skynyrd :)

Cheers,
Carl

--