HW: 100 word SF: This Very Spot

Hulsebos A arjanh at CS.VU.NL
Mon Jun 15 11:25:02 EDT 1998

On Jun 15,  4:12pm, M Holmes wrote:
>Subject: Re: HW: 100 word SF: This Very Spot
>Christian000Mumford writes:
>
>> All this story does though, is say that the guy did not calulate where in
>> space the Earth would be (positioned) at the time of destination, which is
>> stupid and his own fault
>
>Not necessarily. Over enough time the behaviour of the solar system will
>be chaotic enough to make precise location impossible.

I remember it being 10 years, which is probably not enough to
notice any chaotic behavior. Besides, I think that it has not been proven
to be chaotic, it merely has not been proven to be a stable system. That,
on the other hand, doesn't rule out chaotic behavior either!

Sigh, few-body problems are so damn hard to solve....

>FoFP

Arjan H