HW: Kings of speed

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Mon Jul 27 06:41:11 EDT 1998

>> The gig was recorded by me and Rainer Wangler. We taped a lot of gigs then
>> and swapped the tapes afterwards to see which recording was better. But the
>> CD contains exactly the version I have on tape, though the CD version must
>> have been polished up a bit soundwise because there is less tape hissing on
>> it. Brian Tawn thinks that this CD was released by the band themselves like
>> they did with the vinyl version of Undisclosed files, which was done because
>> they can get more money from a bootleg release than to put it out officially
> Anyway, I paid 40 Deutschmarks for a CD that I recorded !
>
>Wouldn't the band just use a soundboard recording? Since they have
>access to the board it would seem a lot easier, and sound better.

I personally find, that you have to be very lucky to get a mix from the mixing
desk, that works well, when played back on tape.  More often than not, a good
quality "Audience Tape" may have more feeling to it than a "Mixing-desk" tape,
which can sound rather "sterile".

Usually, the mixing desk compensates for any peculiarities to the overall sound
of the venue, and of course, the mix tends to be very low on "audience input"
and (in most cases) high on vocals and drums!  There's a few mixing-desk HW
tapes doing the rounds, and the Reading 1992 Teepee tour tape is typical.
Having said that,  the Chippenham Goldiggers tape from 1982 is as good as,
maybe even better, than any of the official live material availlable from that
era - and its a complete 125 minutes!  -  Now that would make a superb CD!

Guy Thomas