MotorHead & Legendary Pink Dots Reccommendations please

Mon Jul 20 05:45:09 EDT 1998

On mån 20 jul 1998 04.18 +0000 "<Nick English>" <nick at THECAMPUS.COM> wrote:
> I would easily recommend Motorhead's latest, "Snakebite Love". It's
> the perfect mix of old-school, rip-and-tear Motormusic and slick,
> "you-mean-I've-got-a-budget-this-time" experimentation that's made
> their 90s albums so unique.

     All of Motorhead's albums from _1916_ on have been top notch
(excepting _March or Die_, which was, IMO, pretty bad :)

> Motorhead are quite an acquired taste...but taste varies so widely on
> this list that I doubt anyone here couldn't handle it. As a longtime
> fan and total convert to Lemmy's Electric Church, even I have to
> admit it took repeated listens before I could get into this band. But
> I'm a total believer. I don't care what anybody says...Lemmy is THE
> most underappreciated rock lyricist of all time.

     I started by listening to the old _No Remorse_ compilation of
early stuff and a few other compilations which featured slightly
more recent things.  Actually, I spent a _lot_ of time watching
some of the old live videos like the Birthday Party one and the
1916 tour one.  It did take some repeated listening, but then it
seems to me I suddenly realize "where they were at", what it was
all about.  And I was utterly hooked.

     Lemmy is a stunning lyricist.  Motorhead swerve madly through
a wild combination of the deeply thought provoking (!) and
straight up "booze 'n' broads" rock 'n' roll.  And at high
speed :)

     If someone had told me when I was a teenager than I would
become a big Motorhead fan, I would have been dumbstruck.  So
you can never tell.

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic