BOC: comeback

Tue Jul 7 11:53:23 EDT 1998

> From:          Hulsebos A <arjanh at CS.VU.NL>
>
> >Don't get me wrong...Heaven Forbid is excellent...Like many on the
> >list I found it better than I expected it to be. But I believe these
> >guys are capable of much, much more, and I (perhaps too

I'm not too sure.  You gotta remember these are getting to be pretty
old guys now.  Granted BD looks a good 10 years younger than he is
[anyone else notice a similarity bet BD and Michael Douglas--BD being
a bit more, eh, cherubic?] but almost 30 years of touring has got to
be taking a toll.  Also, how many creative ideas is one human brain
capable of hatching?  Seems like they had trouble coming up with
enough material for HF--which I agree is excellent, and better than I
would've guessed.  Also, it looks like Allen is on cruise control
these days, I hate to say.  He's almost non-existant on HF...

> >optimistically) consider Heaven Forbid a warm-up for a full-fledged
> >career revival complete with more frequent releases and a return to
> >the experimentation that hooked me on BOC in the first place.

Nothing would make me happier, but I don't think we'll see it...

> I'd be more than happy if they just keep the current level. After
> Cult Classics I feared they'd be a mere shadow of what they once were...
> Especially Eric's voice was a pleasant surprise!

EB's voice is way better than last year, so looks like he's back.
BD's playing the best of his career, no question.  What will
determine whether BOC keeps the records coming is mainly how well HF
sells.  CMC will for sure give tham another go even if HF goes
nowhere, but I doubt they'll be too patient after that without some
sales.

Look on the bright side:  they tour nonstop, so there's always a good
chance to see them live.  The current setlist is solid, and the
quality of playing is great.  Even in their prime, it was pulling
teeth to get them to record.  Creativity comes slowly to this group,.
but when it does...

theo