OFF: UK Charts

Nick English nick at THECAMPUS.COM
Wed Aug 5 00:28:04 EDT 1998

> >     Really?  I thought _Lost in Space_ was aggressively
> >unremarkable.  So it goes.  I'm pinning my hopes on _The Avengers_
> >now :)
>
> I'm not!

This whole damn trend of remakes and movie versions of old TV series
is so completely nowhere it makes me sick every time I hear about
another one! It's like the sequel plague of the 1980s -- not a shred
of originality to be seen! It's like if a script isn't based on a
book, an old movie or a TV series, studios don't wanna know from it.
I'll give credit to X-Files...I'm not a fan of the show and I didn't
see the movie, but it was a much different concept, and far more
relevent than a 90s version of Lost in Space or The Avengers. To my
mind, if you're gonna mess with an old spy show, the only way to go
is the road Mike Meyers took with Austin Powers.

The one that really makes me wanna puke is Nicolas Cage doing a
remake of The Courtship of Eddie's Father (yes, it's happening, and
it was HIS IDEA!). There's one guy I never thought I'd lose respect
for!

My one guilty pleasure -- Dragnet with Aykroyd and Hanks.

--  Nick