Hawkwind Tour in Trouble

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Tue Sep 16 11:00:00 EDT 1997

On 16 Sep 04:39, Max Wilcox wrote:
>         1. A film clip.

Haven't they just done a video to accompany the LiS EP?  I thought this
was one of the reasons for the delay (although in fact it makes sense
for the EP/video to be released just before the tour).

>         2. Air time. Promo CDs, promo CDs, promo CDs for radio stations!

A good idea, but the hard part is getting the radio stations to play it.
With so much "product" out there, much of it backed by the big companies
and/or by much trendier bands, it's an uphill struggle.  Worth a try though.

>         3. Distribution. I can only speak for Australia, and I know it's
> different in the UK, but there needs to be more distribution and promotion
> of the actual albums.

This is actually pretty good in the UK.

>         4. Fan-based promotion.

Also worth a try.

>         5. Reaching the right market. I think today is one of the best times
> to promote HW, what with the interests in aliens, SCHWA, etc, and electronic
> music, the rave scene, etc. All of these interests are particular to a
> certain type subculture, and if the promotion was done intelligently, this
> would be a very productive market.

I assume that this was part of what they had in mind with "Future
Reconstructions", and the "Alien" album.  They were negotiating with
a big "UFO festival" to be held in London, but that festival collapsed.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.