Female BOC/HW fans

Cliff & Pam Wheaton cwheaton at MICRON.NET
Sat Mar 22 04:20:45 EST 1997

Shari Hill wrote:

> In a message dated 3/21/97 1:41:08 PM, Max wrote:
>
> >        The amount of female input in the realms of Hawkwind is virtually
> nil
> >(at least as far as the actual band is concerned). Hawkwind had one
> >female vocalist, who sang on about five or so songs that I know of, of
> >which I only have one of (from "Palace Springs" live). The only other
> >feminine facet of the band are the (in my opinion) quite poor taste
> >dancers that "jiggle their breasts" at the audience during concerts.

Isn't that what they're 'sposed to do? 'sides, most fellas I know would
enjoy that!

> I guess I'm not surprised female input on these bands is minimal--like I told
> Daniel, I've been a big Rush fan for about 10 years, now, and I have yet to
> meet a female who will admit to liking them.

I DO, I DO!!! Love Rush that is! I just (Big Grin) got all the Rush
albums on CD!! Celebratio day for me!

  I do honestly know some
> shallow-minded bimbos who won't listen to Rush because "they're old and
> ugly."  That just burns me up!  It's probably better for all concerned if
> they stick to their Bon Jovi, though.  I suppose the lack of gooey love songs
> and the inclusion of actual imagination would shatter their fagile psyches.

Yeah right-(sarcasm mode here) They don't have room in their 2 neuron
brains to take the time to understand the music! Besides-Geddy is still
good looking in my bok:)

> I imagine the jigglings of breasts and such do put a damper on certain bands'
> appeal to female fans.  IMO, it _is_ poor taste, but if I actually make it
> out to see a concert, I'm not going to let a few bouncing breasts spoil it
> for me.  Like Pam wrote recently, I've mostly had male friends all my
> life--there are some things you just learn to ignore or take in stride.  The
> only thing I regret is that you almost never get to turn the tables on 'em!

Oh, I get them every once in awhile!! Being that I work in the trade I
do (Taxi owner/operator) You learn quick that you're not really worried
too much about gender-you just get along and smile & bitch with the
rest!

> [snip]
>
> >        The lack of female input in Hawkwind, and to a lesser extent "space
> >rock" (or whatever you call it) is a very sad thing, as in the few
> >occasions that women have entered this arena, they have been a breath of
> >fresh air, as it were.

agreed here! I think my outlook is alot different than most-I find this
music to be a breath of fresh air. It's really nice to be able to
experience this!

> I haven't had much experience with "space rock" but I _am_ in one of those
> moods to acquire new music, y'know?  My already odd mix needs some new blood.
>  That's why I'm looking into HW.

I'm really experiencing a new music sweep! Of all forms! everything from
Jean Michel Carre to lots of HW and more! A friend at this point has
given me (on tape) over 70 different "albums"!

> Andy wrote:
>
> >It's unfair, IMO, to single Hawkwind out for sexism.  How many hard
> rock/heavy
> >metal bands  - except for "girl groups" - have ever had female members?
>
> I don't think Hawkwind has really been "singled out for sexism" here, unless
> you're referring to an earlier discussion.  It doesn't matter to me whether
> all the members are men and always have been, what matters is whether I like
> their music and lyrics.  Someone who would get upset that a band has never
> had a female member is just a sad, small person.  If you like what they're
> playing, what should it matter what sex the members are?

agreed here!! I like the way you think!

> Don't know who/what Stacia is/was, but it's generally been said that if you
> don't appreciate nudity or the like, you don't have to go to the shows.  For
> such people, both male and female, it's probably best to stay home and listen
> to the albums in peace.  Or, you learn to adapt.

great point here!

> [snip]
>
> >Anyway, joking aside, you might as well complain about the lack of Black
> >members of Hawkwind ever.  Although they've had at least one gay member.

So? Does it matter? Nope.

> Here's another one of those
> if-you-like-the-music-just-shut-up-and-enjoy-it-things.  Hearing a recording
> of a band, I highly doubt I would notice whether they had a Black member or a
> gay member or a mute purple troll member.  (Unless the troll happened to be
> singing, I guess.  ;-) )   If someone is really offended by the sexual/racial
> makeup/orientation of a band, the best solution is to listen to something
> else or form your own band that worries more about equality than talent and
> member cooperation.

I agree here-alot!

> Now that I've thoroughly annoyed everyone with my constant questions and
> letters . . . I'm leaving for the weekend.  Enjoy the quiet while it lasts!

You have not-In fact-good questions-I even learned some things too!!

--
                 Pam Wheaton                    Cliff  Wheaton
            _____/----^---\____       The greatest tool for  world peace
cwheaton at micron.net
URL:http://netnow.micron.net/~cwheaton