(from Shari again) New BOC fan/Hawkwind Q's

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Fri Mar 21 06:22:00 EST 1997

On 20 Mar 16:02, Shari Hill wrote:
> In my original mailing, I did say that I'm a fan of BOC and Moorcock--but let
> me say it's _not_ just the Moorcock stuff that interests me.  Along with
> _Fire of Unknown Origin_, I've noticed _Imaginos_ has taken up permanent
> residence in the tape deck (I haven't found it on CD yet).  _Agents of
> Fortune_ is another one I've found that I like--it must be the
> X-Files/Millenium fan in me.

The most recent Hawkwind album was all about Alien abduction, if that
interests you.  In fact I should say their two most recent albums, because
they did a studio album (Alien 4, 1995) and a live album (Love In Space,
1996).  Most people seem to prefer the live album.  The production is
better on Alien (in fact its one of the best produced albums I've heard)
but LiS is still pretty well produced, and has more energy.

Mind you, these two albums are different from their earlier work, with
a different singer.  Then again, all their word is different in one way
or another, and their line-up has changed many, many, times.

Hawkwind's output in the 90's has seen slightly less guitar and slightly
more synthesisers.  (In the case of "It Is The Business Of The Future To
Be Dangerous" and "White Zone", *much* less guitar and much more synth --
though this doesn't apply to the live album "The Business Trip").  I rather
like it; several of my current top ten HW albums are 90s albums.  My top
5 is a bit more balanced:
        California Brainstorm      (1991, live)
        Live Chronicles            (1985, live)
        Hall of the Mountain Grill (1974, studio)
        Love In Space              (1996, live)
        Quark, Strangeness & Charm (1977, studio)
with Palace Springs, Space Ritual, PXR5, Alien 4 and The Business Trip
all "bubbling under".  But the list varies depending on my mood anyway.

Maybe Carl's idea of a compilation tape makes the most sense.

Dave.
--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.