BOC-L Digest - 21 Jan 1997 to 22 Jan 1997

Matthew Braun mbraun at RAYGUN.URBANA.MCD.MOT.COM
Wed Jan 22 13:51:00 EST 1997

Ted Alger <talger at PIPELINE.COM> writes:

>>>so much as a lot of the AOL PEOPLE EARNESTLY BELIEVE THAT BOC ARE THE
>>>BEST BAND IN THE WORLD, RIGHT NOW IN THE NINETIES <------ this is what I
>                                                            was referring to
>>yes, and I was disappointed to find it wasn't true of BOC-L

You're right--I misinterpreted what you had written.  Please accept my
apologies.

[More good commentary deleted.]
>And despite what everyone seems to think about how easy it is to get
>recording contracts out there, there are quite a few bands with tons of
>talents lacking deals right now...  (King's X comes to mind) .
I agree--lots of good artists don't have great deals right now.  Warren
Zevon (dropped by Giant), Al Stewart (Mesa was shut down by Atlantic), Todd
Rundgren (who's going Internet for distribution), The Pursuit Of
Happiness... The list goes on and on.  Ah!  The modern music machines!
They'll put themselves out of business if they're not careful.

>My other post keeps coming back to me where I compared this to the
>Queensryche newsgroup...  that and this list are possibly (at times) the
>two most negative list around....and I hate that because I love both
>bands....no wonder I'd rather talk to Chris or Lisa on the AOL
>boards..
Well, (in retrospect) you really did hit the nail on the head: not so much
for "AOL people earnestly believe that BOC are the best band right now here
in the nineties", (because never having been on AOL, I can't verify that)
but more in the implication that the BOC-L folks don't believe it.

Most of us would like nothing more than for them to prove that they are the
best band in the world right here and now in the 90's.  But because their
output for this decade consists of "Bad Channels", and some unreleased
songs, I personally, cannot conclude this to be true.  Perhaps this is the
cynicism of the '90's, or of the internet.  (Or maybe I'm impatient after 5
years of promises--I don't know.)

I don't think there is an above-average amount of slamming of their old
work.  Folks here can be downright reverential towards it.  (I'll be more
than happy to rave about the genius in "Death Valley Nights" or "Morning
Final" any time.)  The negative attitude and cynicism arise with regard to
promises of future work.  Most of this comes not from mean-spiritedness,
but instead from past form.

>...and I may not be a BOC-L curmudgeon, but that doesn't mean I'm
>a 14 year old know nothing kid.
(Ummm...I don't recall anyone saying you were.)

>Every time I've seen BOC, I've been amazed by Buck/Joe/Jon/Eric (whoever).
>And for anyone who might think I'm fawning, I could go post to
>MMC/ROCK/BOC on AOL or better yet, Eric and Buck's E-mail addresses are
>well known.
No one said you were.  You _are_ welcome here.  We could all use some
optimism.

                                        m@

+-mbraun at urbana.mcd.mot.com-+ Don't the sun look angry through the trees? ----+
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, |  Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?   |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre | Don't you feel like desperadoes under the eaves?|
+--Dangerous Projects Team--+- Heaven help the one who leaves... -------[WZ]--+