BOC and King's X

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Jan 22 14:05:00 EST 1997

Ted Alger wrote: -there, there are quite a few bands with tons of
talents lacking deals
right now...(King's X comes to mind) .-

A band very near and dear to my heart and maybe a perfect example of
BOC+s trials to bring us new material.  King+s X is a very talented band
that is no longer affiliated with a record company.  They were on
Atlantic records and were obligated to do more albums for Atlantic.
Shortly after the release of Ear Candy (a marvelous album, shameless
plug, sorry) the band and Atlantic mutually decided to part company.
Why would someone simply walk away from a deal with a major label like
Atlantic in this day and age?  Atlantic was very supportive of the band
when the album was being made, they sponsored a web page, answered fan
inquiries about the status of the album , gave us radio play statistics,
everything.  Finally pure business jumped in the way.  Promotion.
Atlantic made a business decision to use a great portion of their
promotional budget hyping Hootie and The Blowfish second album as
opposed to KX.  IMHO this hurt the albums sales dramtically. Atlantic
made a decision with their finances in mind and I can+t blame them for
trying to maximize sales with Hooties follow-up album, the debut sold
over 13 million so this made sense.  KX unfortunately suffered because
they were not in control over this aspect of the business.  KX has been
approached by seven other labels in the meantime and are shopping around
for the best fit.  BOC in a sense isn+t much different.  As Ted points
out these guys have families and other things to do; they need to find
the best fit for their requirements.  Hopefully the shopping season has
begun.

> >May all BOC-l subscribers be in the hall on the night when these bands
> are in the same place and jam together as musicians and friends.
>
> Would be a glorious day indeed.  Tell me when and where, and me and my
> bass will be there. (with a six-pack or 2 of Anchor Steam?) :-)
>
>Me too, and then some!

The first round of Anchor Steam is on me fellas.  8^).

Alex>-Yes. But not likely to happen, I fear. I think the chances of
having all
BOC-L subscribers in the same venue at the same time are just as thin as
having the two bands play a gig together.-

Sure it could happen if Mr. B would pay for it.  Were you on the list
when the story line went down?  Probably not it+s hard to explain.  This
is John+s allusion to the Anchor Steam.  Several actual list members
were a part of that story, Jean and Manuel, Robo Dude, John, Guido and
Torgo too.   Steve Swann was there too, he played the mysterious
stranger who resembled "Q" of Star Trek NG.  Someone had to take the
blame. 8^)   Aren+t you oldtimers glad I switched to decafe?   What do
ya mean you can+t tell. 8^).

>        It strikes me that if (dream) tBS and BOC ever played a gig
> together, or Al did a guest drums appearance or something (like Lemmy did
> occasionally for HW on bass), the conflict zone would not be Al vs. DR,
> but Deb vs. EB...
>
> LOL - yep, while I think Buck and Al could be onstage together again
> someday, I can't picture Eric and Deb every sharing a stage (except
> maybe for a boxing match or something) ;-)

Also LOL but I+ll put a ten spot on Deb, it wouldn+t go five rounds.
Lord knows she TKO+ed me enough times not to want a re-match. 8^)

Theo Said>-As usual, John doesn't talk much, but when he does, he says a
lot:-

Second that, every list should have a John S. and a Bernhard P. too.
Fortunately we have both

lil ab

Five in the Player -
Shadow Gallery - Carved in Stone