Subject: OFF The Year in Music

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Mon Jan 13 11:20:05 EST 1997

Some interesting stuff there, but the situation is (I think) healthier this
side of the pond - the Beatles necrophilia albums didn't really do that much
over here, especially after everyone who bought the first one realised it was
crap (and incidentally, found out just why Decca turned them down).  Top album
in the UK in '96, I believe, was Alanis' _Jagged Little Pill_, which isn't my
cup of tea, but at least is contemporary.  (Counted over the last couple of
months of the year alone, though, the Spice Girls trounce all opposition. :)

>  Record moguls are searching for
>the next great trend/artist or 1997 could be real down year for them.

So what's new?  That's been the way of the industry since it began.

>Are there
>20,000 artist out there worth talking about?

I certainly hope so!!!!

But getting back to BOC, surely it's their own fault they've not made an album
since roughly the Cretaceous Period?  You can't blame it on "industry moguls"
when every other seventies act in town is making comeback albums, and when
Kiss are one of the top-selling acts around.

- Andy