BOC: Stale Setlist? Not a problem.

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Jan 7 15:59:18 EST 1997

rom:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <ABrevard at SHL.COM>

> Real interesting observations about the stale set list and the whys.
> The tuth is in there somewhere but only the band and crew know for sure.
>  What really motivates 3OC is a mystery on the scale of Imaginos but
> think about this.  If the standard fee is still the same 8 show in 8
> days = $40,000.  There aren't a lot of people that make that kind of
> money in a year.

True, but if they keep alienating fans and fail to draw in new ones
with new material, how long can they expect to make money touring?
If, as some have suggested, old fans are disgruntled over a stale
setlist, doesn't 3OC owe it to itself to conserve as many fans as
possible?  Personally, I hadn't seen them in quite a while 'til the
28th, so I wasn't bored, but I have seen them a million times in the
past, and frankly, even though I was exstatic, I would've loved more
of the new stuff...

> It does bring to mind an interesting question, if you 're making decent
> money simply re-hashing whats already been done why cut a new album at

See Above.  I see it as nec. for 3OC to  release new stuff to grab in
new fans...

> all?  Why not do a real Cult Classics and simply record either all or
> selected songs from the first three albums.  I think that would sell
> better especially to die hards dissapointed with WoTT.

Better yet, how 'bout a true boxed set, or a series on say, Rhino,
with remastered stuff?

> Also on tBS doing more BOC covers, not a good idea.  It only distracts
> from the great stuff they are doing.  Yeah I'd love to hear some selcted
> covers but it shouldn't bet at the expense of the great things they are
> doing.  Besides its hard enough to get a break in this business, why
> would you want to play covers of a band that are (well no other way to
> put this) considered "has beens" by the industry at large?  tBS is
> making a run at getting something done, but if a group this talented is
> having trouble breaking through on their own merits no use trying with
> other peoples materials.
>
> Peace
> lil ab
Yeah, I tell ya, the fact that tBS don't play out more concerns me.
Al, is there some master plan for not 'spoiling' the fans with
overexposure?
theo