OFF: Amber Revisited

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Tue Feb 25 22:22:31 EST 1997

>> >Interesting name-and an awesome set of books!
>>
>> Well, the first ones were (when the idea was fresh and new), but one of the
>> second lot (_Blood of Chaos_?) is one of the few books I've actually thrown
>> across the room for being so crap.
>
>I'm less than convinced that Zelazny actually wrote those rather than
>passed the plotlines over to the guys he had working writing the
>Roadmarks(?) stuff. A signature of the first series was a reasonably

As long as we're going off topic I didn't care for the second series first
time through very much but somewhere around the second and a half time
through I came to like them at least as much if not more than the originals.
They're in a different style (it's a different narrator, after all), but
it's definitely
RZ.  Sometime around the time the pattern being revealed as sentient the
illusion of this otherwise... desirable state of things throughtout shadow...
makes them somewhat less stirring, perhaps, but it works on other levels
for me.  (for my part, I believe it did not become sentient until Oberon did
that ritual in Courts of Chaos).  Incidentally, Courts of Chaos (1st series,
5th book) was the one I liked the least.  I generally didn't like the
description
of the shadow shifting process, and that book was almost 50% nothing but
that.

Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random

Baron of Silverwater, Kingdom of the Burning Lands (Amtgard)
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm
(Andrew A. Apold)