BOC: Article in Seconds Magazine

Thu Feb 6 13:27:37 EST 1997

>I have always assumed that Pearlman created the band in his own image,
deliberately echoing his own name:

Interesting!!

>I never believed any of that 'Cully Stout Beer' and 'Trolleybus Cue'
stuff, anyway!

I recently talked to Bolle about this (and I'm making a modification
to the FAQ in this area) because I had read in 2 or 3 old articles
that "Blue Oyster Cult" came from an anagram of "Cully Stout Beer",
and started to doubt what I had heard elsewhere.  Bolle's belief (as
this would have been before he knew the band) is that Pearlman/Meltzer
probably tried to make anagrams of "Blue Oyster Cult" at some point
and came up with "Cully Stout Beer", rather than the other way around
as has been reported - presumably the two were probably stoned at the
time they did this, and somewhere along the line the real story got
twisted around.  But, Sandy did write a lot of the Imaginos poems
way back in the late 60's, and one of them was called "Blue Oyster Cult",
so it seems unlikely that they came up with the name later.  Besides,
a "stout" is not exactly a "beer", and so it is unlikely there was
an actual brew by that name (although "fake" beer labels, with the BOC
symbol, later appeared in some rock magazine).

John