OFF: Snow, metric propaganda! :-)

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Dec 3 14:52:59 EST 1997

>     Actually, I think the most sensible temperature scale would make 0
>water's freezing point and 100 human body temperature.  That would create
>weather reports I could relate to!

Actually, it would have been if Mr. Fahreneit had lived in
an area with clean water.  The 100 is the human body temp (I
think he measured that by jabbing it into open veins of
bleeding prisoner/"volunteers") but he couldn't get water to
freeze at a consistant temperature due to the fact that the
water where he lived was (unbeknownst to him) rather polluted.
The zero he used was based on what some seawater he had
turned "slushy" at, IIRC.

Now, how can we get this metric argument back towards BOC
or HW?  About the only unit of distance I can think off
offhand is a "lightyear of love".... <g>

Roger Shrubstaff                   ==   To dwell within Samsara, however is
Duchy of Silverwater                =    to be subject to the works of those
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm=   who are mighty among dreamers.
(Andrew A. Apold)                   ==    - Mahasamatman