OFF: Bardo Pond

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Apr 15 22:08:17 EDT 1997

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, John Majka wrote:

(I asked if any of the following bands were worth investigating:)

> >        Bardo Pond
>
> Bardo Pond sounds like early Hawkwind jammed-out songs, sort of like the
> first side of In Search Of Space.  I recommend "Amanita"

Well, I picked up _Amanita_ today and I love it.  Thanks!

John's description is rather apt.  There's plenty of long, winding,
stoned-out trippy jams on this 74+ minute CD.  Some of them take a bit of
time to build, but do so rather subtly, and to quite a crescendo.
(Notable faves so far [after only one spin] are "Yellow Turban" and "RM.")

So, is their other stuff as nice as this?  It sounds like the sort of
stuff that could easily dangerously descend into a self-indulgent weird
noise fest if not handled well.  They pull it of admirably on _Amanita_
(IMHO), but I wonder if they manage the same self-control on their other
output.

Oh, and whilst I'm here, does anyone have any thoughts on Skullflower?  My
local shop currently has _This is Skullflower_ reduced on sale.  Is this
worth picking up?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Bardo Pond, _Amanita_