OFF: Rush - Test for Echo

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Sep 26 16:20:21 EDT 1996

> Since BOC-L seems to be mostly discussing off-topic stuff these days, I
> figure I can start a new thread...
>
> Has anyone heard Rush's new album, *Test for Echo*?  Very cool stuff -
> has a nice edge to it (for Rush), and is much less synth-oriented than
> alot of the stuff they put out in the 80s.

God, are the vocals any better?  Or the lyrics?  If Rush just played
instrumentals, I'd think they were amazing, but the second Geddy
opens his mouth...And it's too bad 'cause he's generally considered
one of the nicest people in the biz, and a great bass player.

> On a related note, I recently read a BOC concert review from back around
> '76 or '77 -- Rush opened for them.  The reviewer was NOT impressed in the
> least with Rush, and predicted that they would soon be a thing of the past.
> Almost 20 years later, Rush is still going strong...
>
> John
Well, no accounting for taste!  I saw at least one show on that tour,
and BOC were about as great as can be imagined, their zenith, I'd
argue, though a case could be made for Spectres-era show with lasers,
etc.  Don't think they were doing that yet in 76, but maybe 77?
theo