Vinyl remasters?

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Sep 23 17:08:37 EDT 1996

Hawkwind writes:

> request for feedback as to whether or not fans would like to see the UA
> remasterd series released on vinyl.

I'm not sure there would be much point in this would there?   I accept
that vinyl may carry a much wider sound spectrum/wavelength (?) but the
great bonus of the remasters is their clarity.   This may indeed come
through on vinyl but I would be very suprised if it was as good as the
CDs or, even if it was, whether enough folk would have the quality of
hi-fi sufficient to listen to it.   It would be sad indeed if all that
beautiful remastering were to be wasted on a muffled sounding vinyl that
in fact sounded not much better than the original!   I sorta wonder if
they'd be better taking the original issue CDs off the market completely
(thus immediately turning them into rare collectors items which Hawkwind
Marketing Co. Inc. could stock exclusively) and doing any further reissues
of those albums using the digital remasters only.

Oh - I guess if vinyl versions were produced I'd buy them (couldn't not
do so could I....) but I wouldn't have thought it worth doing except to
try and corner the Kollectors' market.   Are there really enough
Kollectors to make it worthwhile financially?

Which reminds me - I saw a copy of It Is The Biz of the Future etc... in
a CD package labelled "Digitally Remastered With Faithfully Copied Artwork"
or something similar.   Does anyone know if it *is* any better!   It
certainly didn't look any different - but then clearly it's not intended
to...

sigh.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk