RealAudio

Phil - Can't we go back to pen and paper? - Wane EPA3WANEP at NTU.AC.UK
Mon Sep 23 11:37:59 EDT 1996

I was interested to read the letters from Paul and Martyn re Realaudio.
As far as I know you can still download the "listening" software for free but
you do indeed have to pay for the "broadcast" software.  As for the copyright
infringement of broadcasting music, I'm not sure how that's dealt with by the
likes of the Performing Rights Society.  Maybe you have to pay broadcast fees
as do all radio and TV stations.  BUT for a newsgroup a clever band would waive
the fees, on maybe a limited selection of tracks, because the publicity might
remind certain people that they still exist and encourage them to put their
hands into their pockets and buy CD's etc.
Phil
p.s.
Before anyone gets offended I really like the bands discussed in this group but
let's be honest, there's a lot of people out there think that Hawkwind fell off
their perch a long time ago!
"Oh what a treacherous web we weave..."
Philip Wane
The Nottingham Trent University