Other: Big Buck CD Players

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Tue May 14 17:12:43 EDT 1996

Rudich, Robert A writes:

> >ObAside: Is anyone up on CD units in the L200 - L300 range? Comments
> >appreciated on what's worth buying.
>
> >FoFP
>
> Here's the deal as I understand it.  Once you made the leap to CDs, you got
> 95% or more of the improvement.   I was looking into this question myself.
>  I don't know what specific machines you're looking at, so I'll speak in
> generalities.  You can get better D/A converters, more oversampling, multi
> disc handling, and other user features like programing.   Whether these are
> worth the money is a personal choice.   However, you may not hear any
> difference at all in how the discs play and sound.  If that is your intent,
> go listen to several with headphones of yours and a disc you know well.
>  Don't take something obscure like that Hawkwang I hear tell of.  Then
> compare to something in the range of what you have.  I've done this and got
> very interested in speakers.  I've also read audio fanzine articles that
> reach the same conclusion.

Yeah, I've been reading the comics. The units that look interesting from
the reviews are:

Marantz CD-63
Technics SL-PS770A
Sony CDP-761E

I've seen offers on:

NAD 510 (an upgrade of NAD 501 or something better?)
Cambridge CD4

...but I can't find any articles on these.

Up until now I've been using a Sony Discman (circa 1990) as a CD player
with Linn Index speakers and a NAD 3020 amp.

Any comments welcome...

FoFP