What's Progressive?

UNREGISTERED VERSION sihalley at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Wed Jun 26 07:34:06 EDT 1996

Reply to Christian Mumford about What's Progressive?
>I always considered progressive music to be music that involves the
>listener's participation more than other types of music.... the kind of
>music you can just sit down and listen to, analyse, swish about in your
>brain like a fine wine over and over.... Its not a style, but it has a
>certain intelligence to it that you don't necessarily find in most
>run-of-the mill pop-rock shlock..... Its not just background music, it
>has an added dimension and experimental edge. People tend to think of
>prog as being only the pompous ELP and Yes type stuff because of the
>quasi-classical influence. I think progressive music is any kind of
>music you can sit down and get lost in.... be it classical, jazz, rock,
>ambient... whatever.

I think that IMHO this is the best discription of the genre I have ever heard.
I agree that Progressive music is not just about the ELP's and Yes' of this
world. Under this difinition, both BOC and HW are progressive. Its more then
just long songs and time changes. It's the lyrics and the dynamics of
the music. I'm not big on studying lyrics but I like my music to be
interesting in it's self.
When I get a new album I normally sit down and listen to it with the lyrics in
front of me. I find that you appriciate it more like that and take more in on
the first listen (weather you understand the lyrics or not).

Si

sihalley at vossnet.co.uk

"A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window"