HW:space bandits-no, Calvert!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Jun 17 07:33:54 EDT 1996

> > I feel that the one thing Brock has been able to do is take an average
> > talented musician, and use their skills to the utmost to create the best
> > spacerock ever heard.
> > Calvert on his own was not as good as Calvert with the Hawks,
> > I am only familiar with Calvert's Capt. Lockheed, and it seems that this
> > is in reality a HW project, doing Calvert written material.
> > Each HW member alone could not be considered a great musician, but it's
> > like Brainstorming, the end result is a conglomeration of the talents
> > of all the players.
> > Don't you think, or don't you?
>
> Capt. Lockheed was an exception. Check out Calvert's later material
> (i.e. Lucky Leif, Freq etc.), and you'll know he was a great poet and
> songwriter on his own.

        I don't think it can be denied that Calvert was a great poet
and songwriter wherever he was, but _musically_ the Calvert albums
suffer in comparison to the Hawkwind albums.  The only lad out of the
Hawkwind camp who can completely stand on his own two feet is Lemmy--as
has been proven by Motorhead.
        Calvert's various solo material is good stuff, but mostly for the
Calvert lyrics and compositions--the actual performances I don't think
are that great!  Calvert had a more powerful team behind him in HW.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)