BOC Math problem

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Tue Jun 11 15:09:46 EDT 1996

This came up when a friend's kid was doing some math problems about
combinations and factorials, so we came up with this problem:

Given:

You need one drummer, one person playing bass, a lead guitar, another
guitar, and one set of keyboards, and one of these has to double as a singer...

(we'll leave stun guitar out of this for simplicity's sake)...

How many ways  can Blue Oyster Cult (original lineup) meet these requirements?
(remember, after you get  all the instruments, multiply by number of
possible singers)...

Well, I wasn't certain about the others playing bass or Joe playing the
other stuff (he plays mandolin on Trep, right?) but I assumed they could if
need be.....  And, we have to accept that Allen could, in a pinch, sing, as
True Confessions is evidence to...

Anyways, it was an amusing way to put this in perspective, even if the kid
responded with "what is blue oyster cult?".....

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)