Hawkwind

Doug ISTS018 at UABDPO.DPO.UAB.EDU
Tue Jul 23 00:09:27 EDT 1996

Doug Bates
Systems Analyst
Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham
Voice (205) 934-9087  Fax (205) 975-7129
Email dbates at uab.edu

Dear fellow Hawkfan,
I have just come off the BOC/Hawkwind mailing list, and I have been reading
the backlog of messages about all things Hawkwind. I was more than a bit
distressed by the innuendo that was flying around about Hawkwind and my
company Griffin Music. I wonder if you would post this message onto the
mailing list as I am not sure exactly how to do this myself.
I would like to clarify some facts for the Hawkwind community.
First: As regards the T-shirt shortage on the last US Tour. Griffin
manufactured the shirts in quantities that the band wanted. The number was
based on what was deemed necessary and they were as shocked as we were when
we had to go back and order more after the first couple of nights. I
personally attended the first few nights and we were all taken aback by the
demand. It was unfortunate but we simply couldn't get a second order made in
less than five days and still get them to the location of the band.
Second: Yes Griffin had a problem last month with Doug Smith regarding two
pieces that were sold on to a discounter. The two titles were The Business
Trip and Hawklords Live. A decision was made to move some out at a low price
to reduce inventory. Doug contacted me and said he had a problem with this
as it makes the perception that they were now deleted. On receiving his
complaint the process stopped and they are now no longer available at the
lower price. This was resolved in one afternoon.
Third: Yes Griffin is releasing Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. I
personally did the packaging and negotiated the contract. I approached Doug
Smith about the two pieces over three years ago. He told me then that it
would be very difficult to do a deal with Active to get them released but he
didn't care if I tried. I also asked Dave Brock at the time and he didn't
mind either. After three years of constantly haranguing the owner I finally
got the deal done. I informed Doug Smith's office the next day. A week later
I spoke again to the owner of the tapes who asked if I could contact Dave
Brock about the packaging etc. I called Dave immediately and we talked
through the packaging concept, which he approved. The composers of the songs
will be getting their usual royalties, Active are getting their royalty
which will be applied to their balance with the band and I have been told by
Active that after the album is given it's initial airing the tapes will be
turned over to the band and will revert to their control.
Yes both CD's are coming with bonus tracks, (Transdimensional Man, Silver
Machine and Psychedelic Warlords), both feature concert programme clippings
and both will be released simultaneously in the UK and the USA. (Active are
doing them in the UK. Release date is set for late August.)
Fourth: Doug Smith has been a great friend to Griffin Music. He trusted us
when no one else would. He attended many of the shows on the last tour of
the USA and did his bit to help smooth things along. He has, to his credit,
finally started to bring the Hawkwind catalog back into the band's control.
EBS is the band's own label and it was established to take care of them.
Hawkwind are getting more attention now than they have for years, and I like
to think that we at Griffin had a small hand in making that happen. If the
future determines that Hawkwind and Griffin go their separate ways, it will
be a sad occasion, but I have enjoyed enormously the opportunity I have had
to participate with the legend and I hope that our paths will continue on
the same course as long as possible.

Robert Godwin
(Director Griffin Music)