BOC: palm slashing

Lee Hodge leehodge at RADIX.NET
Fri Jul 19 13:11:20 EDT 1996

Carl E. Anderson wrote:

>  (about Live ’76)
>
> The delivery was _way_ cheesy though--but that's why I always
>enjoyed that section.  It was just *so* 70s-cheesy.

First, it was the 70’s
I was at the Live ’76 show at Capital Center in Largo Maryland, December
1976. My 16 year old ears thought Bloom’s rap was pretty hip - and the
crowd loved it.  The Carter/Pot-Rap was one of the things I remember
most about the show - heck it was 20 years ago.  Bloom’s delivery was
appropriate for the times - I don’t think anybody at the time thought it
was cheezy.

As for musicians speaking out about legalizing drugs - well, musicians
don’t have a very good track record on the subject.  With the
ever-growing pile of dead musicians whose death was caused by drug use,
 musician don’t stand on very firm ground  (yeah, I know of no one that
died directly from pot use).

Personally, I feel that some drugs that are illegal now should be legal
- but don’t hold your breath (don’t inhale, Bill).  The arguments
against legalization are compelling.

As for recreational drugs - alcohol is most definitely a drug.  Alcohol
has killed as many musicians (and people in general) as illegal drugs
(maybe more).  Alcohol use continues to do it’s share of societal
devastation by greatly adding to things like broken marriages, spouse
abuse, suicide, lost work productivity, massive highway death toll, and
so on - but our legal system seems to think that some cat setting at
home blowing a doobie  is a real problem.  Go figure.

 I think the facts show that alcohol can be a much more dangerous drug
then the ole wild-wood-weed but booze has been a part of western society
forever (kinda grandfather in).  The acceptance of alcohol and rejection
of pot places a indefensible inconsistency in the argument - but don’t
look for this to change.

-Lee