The band, fans, etc

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jul 4 03:55:09 EDT 1996

I should preface this by commenting that I've just got back at some
unreasonable hour from a night's drinking and chatting to Jill where
Ron's comment about the kindness of the band came up in conversation.

Anyway, Ron basically said that he'd met the band on his trip and that
they were some of the best people he'd ever met and given my very brief
meetings with them I'd happily agree.

However, I'd also like to add that in the seventy or so Hawkwind gigs
I've been to, I'd like to make the same comment about *all* the fans
I've met.  I've almost never been to a gig I didn't end up sharing a
taxi, meal, eightsome reel (I'm not kidding), traded tapes, chatted to,
got totalled with, etc, various other fans.  A Hawkwind gig in the last
few years has been like a roving party.  So Ron, Bill and their
ladyfriends, Mike W, Andy, Rob, Andy G, Ande T, Trev, Steve, Brian, Tim,
Snail, Gordon, Angus, Jill, Ade, Dave, Gavin, Paul, Bernhard, Rainer,
Steven, and other fans, crew, and assorted heads at rock festivals who
have made it more than rewarding to travel hundreds of miles to be
there: I couldn't possibly have even imagined meeting a better bunch of
people.  As much as the band, you folks are the reason I'm there. It's
as much part of the gigs and memories as the band and it's been great to
meet you all. If only the world were smaller and everyone could meet for
a beer the way they do on the Net. I don't say it easily but I've never
met anyone at a Hawkwind gig I wouldn't more than happily count as a friend.

FoFP