HW: where do I start?

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Mon Jan 29 14:17:02 EST 1996

>> I've been into HW for about a year now (and lurking on this list for much
>> of that time). Unfortunately, the stuff is hard to find around here. All I
>> have are LIVE CHRONICLES, IT IS THE BUSINESS..., and seven or eight boots.
>> I just turned on one of the guys over at the record shop to HW, so we're
>> gonna start ordering some stuff.

Smart move!

>> What I want to know is, where do I start?
>> What do you suggest? Should I go with a $75 box set or are there are
>> certain set of albums that I can't live without?
>
>        The 4CD set is a pretty good sampler of the band's history, and
>does have a couple of tracks unavailable elsewhere at present (mind you,
>every track ever recorded by Hawkwind is destined to end up on a
>compilation entitled _Master of the Universe_ at some point ;)

...and mixed together with tracks taken from the Anthology/Acid Daze series.

>but I would suggest getting a couple of 'real' albums.
>
>        No Hawkfan should be without _Space Ritual_.  It is a defining
>recording of classic Hawkwind.  I would also strongly urge _Hall of the
>Mountain Grill_ and the live _Palace Springs_.

true.
take _Warrior on the Edge of Time_ from the UA era,
add _Quark, Strangeness & Charm_ from the famous Charisma years,
find _Levitation_ from the Bronze age
and complete your embryonic search with _Chronicle of the Black Sword_ from
Porky's Prime Cuts, that's the studio album before the Live Chronicle tour.

Now you've got the base to form your own compilation, which you may entitle
_Master of the Universe_ :0)

You say you got two main albums + seven or eight boots. Strange way to start
a lifelong relationship with a band...
Which is the name of those boots?

\\joe\may the Mighty Hawks be with you