BOC - 1/25/96 in Santa Cruz

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 29 13:09:04 EST 1996

In a message dated 29/01/96  16:10:31, you write:

>Folder participants include Eric, Buck, Buck's wife Sandy, Bolle (BOC fan
>club president and curator of the Museum O'Cult) and original SWU vocalist
>Les Bronstein.  Joe Bouchard was online, but I haven't seen a post from him
>in 4-5 months and he's never been a regular participant.  Al used to post in
>the BOC folder every blue moon using Deb's account, but I haven't seen
>anything from him on AOL in over 6 months.  Sure would be nice to hear from
>Al and/or Deb in the BS folder...

Since AOL started beta-testing in Europe, I've been able to take a look at
what's going on here:

1 - The BOC folder is OK, I guess, but nothing like as good as boc-l.  Too
bloody much American football, too.  (I mean, do I post to boc-l with,
"Barnsley were a bit jammy to get a draw against Palace last week"?  I think
not; but a lot of the BOC folder is at a similar level.  Or worse.)  This is
where Bloom posts gig lists and canvasses ideas for T-shirts (ie "which
twenty-year-old design shall we use this time?" :).

2 - The Buck Dharma folder is occasionally interesting, for Don and Sandy's
posts (Sandy Roeser, not Sandy Pearlman :) - the Roesers are very articulate
and seem like nice people.  Shame he can't get a better gig, really :)

3 - The SWU folder is basically interesting for Les's rambling reminiscences,
which are sometimes amusing, but a bit marginal.

4 - The Stalk-Forrest and Surgeons folders are new this week (our robotic
friend had a frenzy of folder creation :), so it's too soon to comment.
 Except, it was a blunder to put the Surgeons folder under "Classic Rock"!  I
mean, they're *good*!  And they have a future!!

Overall - I'll probably drop AOL when the free period ends, as the bulk of
the forums seem a bit low-brow (God, don't I sound superior), and only the
Buck Dharma folder is liekly to make me think again.

- Andy

ObCD: Natacha Atlas - _Diaspora_