off:skinheads/neo-nazis

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 24 14:52:25 EDT 1996

Jerry on ME 262 imagery:

> Let's make a division into Germans (born in Germany) and Nazis (holding nazi
> sympathies); not /necessarily/ connected. If everyone in Europe would do
> that, there would be a lot less prejudice against Germans. Unfortunately,
> still many people are referring to Germans as 'Moffen'. (I don't if in
> English it's another word, but I guess you know what I mean.) Maybe a 'Mof'
> was a compliment way before WWII, I don't know. And the people who use the
> word don't know either, so they confess they're using it in the way it was
> used during WWII.
Right!  A dumb choice of words on my part, but the song IS set in
WWII germany.  Hell, we've got far too many nazis right here in the
good ol' USA.

> >Are the skinheads that much a factor?  Do Germans feel uncomfortable that
> >there could be a legit. nazi resurgence?  Or uncomfortable that deep
> >down they might agree with the nazis?
>
> Skinheads = nazi, you mean? Not necessarily, I thought. But anyway, there's
> quite a movement of amazingly stupid people who believe in some words some
> guy with some brain and the power to rule the stupid. There's quite a lot of
> demonstrations going on by them and against them. It's not only the Germans

There are musical skinheads [who, I'm told, have no violent political
leanings, but simply enjoy skinhead music], skinheads who just use
their shared look as a means for violence against anyone they're
prejudiced against: gays, blacks, arabs etc., and some who actually
have a political agenda--far right, of course.  The number of these
who actually know anything about politics or who really study
political theory?  No way to know, but I'd doubt it's a large number.

> who think there could be a legit nazi resurgence. A lot of people I know
> (from Holland, Germany, Belgium, France, and England) have had serious
> problems with the way France is pushing their will (correct English?).

Far right's the same in any language!  France is a unique example
because it's such a hotbed of political activity on both sides of the
aisle.  I doubt recent events have had much impact on the average
American, but they sure scare the shit out of me!  'Course there are
plenty of righties throughout Europe, now and ca. WWII.  I know there
were plenty of facists in Belgique during the war, and don't forget
Vichy France, Italy under il Duce, etc.  Whenever times are tough,
people look for an easy solution, like blaming people you don't like
for your troubles and systematically p[ersecuting them to make
yourself somehow feel better!

> A thing that bothers me is that some people I talk with, say they don't
> sympathise, but they can understand people use their vote on the
> right-extremists as a protest to government, who are not listening. The fact
> that people can think like that frightens me.

Sure.  How do you think the Fuhrer got into power?  Think before you
cast that ballot, 'cause sometimes a 'protest' vote can backfire on
you.  A lot of right-wingers voted for Perot in our last election.
They fracured the right wing vote and allowed Clinton to win.  Just
the opposite of what they wanted, though I think they were mostly so
disgusted with Bush that they couldn't vote for him anyway.

> >New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?
> Style?
>
> Jerry
Jerry,
I think R.T> is too uncomplicated for you.  Guitar, voice, simple
arrangements, a lot of acoustic stuff, though he can kill on elec.
gtr.  It's his lyrics that draw me in--very introspective,
bittersweet stuff.  Listen before you buy!
theo

New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?