BOC: Eric on WotT and other things (long)

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Wed Apr 24 12:43:35 EDT 1996

> >         Well I dunno, I like what I've heard of Prong and White
> > Zombie, but Pantera just seems silly to me.  Biohazard and Machinehead
> > don't do too much for me either.  I've only seen STP on MTV, and for a
> > grungoid band they weren't too bad--though I actually got more of a kick
> > out of Alice in Chains :)

Hmm, maybe I've been working for BT too long, but there are days when all
I want to listen when I get home are the likes of Pantera/Slayer/Machinehead.
Guess it stops me putting a boot through the Sparc station ;-)

(mondo kudos for the Biohazard laxative quip though Carl :-) :-)

> Prong is pretty cool, even if they are kind of a one-trick pony.

I dunno, it may be one trick at a time, but the pony has been through
several. From what I've heard, each Prong album goes a different way. Still
hasn't made me a rabid fan though.

> mostly agree with your assessment of Pantera, although they almost
> redeemed the silliness of their existence by providing the
> Headbanger's Ball's uniquely identifying "commercial break" shriek (a
> snippet from the completely-over-the-top "Fucking Hostile").
>
> Who needs White Zombie, though, when we've got Gwar?

Well .... ish, to a point. I'd far rather listen to WZ than GWAR. Zombie
might use image as crutch, but heck, GWAR utterly rely on it. I'd agree more
with Carl; they're not aspiring to anything more than they can attain.

> Funny thing is, I read Neuromancer, back before Gibsom became Pope
> Cyberpunk, and I thought it was one of the most undistinguished novels
> I've ever plodded my weary way through.  I occasionally wonder if I
> missed something fundamental, there, or if it's just *everybody else*
> who're wrong.  ;-)

No Steve, for once entertain the thought that you *are* wrong ;-)

Tim