BRAIN: Loud Festival Site(s)

Mon Apr 8 14:33:47 EDT 1996

Rudy sez:

>If forced to choose, I'd have to stick with the band on this one.

I'm not doubting info the band has given us.  But they might not have
control over when and where they play at the festival.  Assuming we get
no further update (which I'm sure the Brain Surgeons will give us more
info closer to the date if things have changed), I would plan on being
in town early enough to hit Pearl Street before 11pm, and be prepared
to get over to "The Baystate".

Although I grew up in the town next to Northampton (Hadley, for any of
you who might've heard of it), I never went to any clubs in Northampton.
But, it's small enough that you should be able to get from one club to
another in less than 30 minutes (probably in less than 10).  If I get
a chance, I'll check my map of the area against the addresses, and
provide directions for anyone who might want them.

>What time
do bars close in Northampton?  Going on at 12:10 could really crimp things.

I think they close at 1:00.  However, based on the schedule for other
bands, it looks like they're giving bands about a 30-40 minute set each.
Perhaps if The Brain Surgeons are on last they'll have more time?  Hope-
fully the flipside won't occur where they'll have to be done by 1:00,
and if some other band eats into their time . . .

> I just heard that Northampton was giving Lalapolooza license trouble this
year.

Ha ha - yeah I heard the city really screwed up on that one.  My under-
standing is that the city council, upon hearing that some "big" bands
would be involved, assumed they meant "big bands" (you know, Duke
Ellington, swing, jazz, etc.).  Someone actually thought that Lalapalooza
was a polka festival!   But I'll tell ya -- the site where they planned
on having it (the grounds of the Northampton airport) is NOT IN ANY WAY
suitable for a something like Lollapalooza.  The access would be absolutely
horrendus, it's practically on the bank of the Connecticut river, there
are no facilities, it's probably not big enough, etc.  I mean, it would
be a major disaster waiting to happen.

>(This time I'm yelling out for "I Play the Drums" if we get to vote for the
last song.)

Yeah, their live rendition, complete w/Al's drum solo, is fantastic.  Of
course it wasn't suppossed to have come down to a vote last time in
Boston (and awful tough to have chosen which of the 4 we should've
chosen to end the show - they're all great songs, and done well live
by the band).

John

PS:  Don't know yet if I'm going to be able to make the show (family
matters may conflict), but I'm pretty sure my brother and sister will
be attending with their significant others.