HW: the weird tapes

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Wed Sep 27 19:02:41 EDT 1995

> I'm right now into a serious sequence of listening through the Weird Tapes,
> which I've bought just a few weeks ago. I'm quite surprised with the good
> overall sound quality, I'd listen to the _Watchfield & Stonehenge_ boot -
> which is a boot of Weird 103 - and that was Bootleg Quality. The Weird 103
> sounded much better. The other live recordings is pretty good too. I'm also
> happy with the tape covers...

I think the Watchfield/Stonehenge vinyl is actually a bootleg copy of
the Wierd 103 tape (or if it wasn't this one then it was some other).
Anyhow Brock didn't take too kindly to this and stopped putting out any
more Wierds - a great pity IMO considering that the tape is superior
to the vinyl (which anyway was considerably more expensive!).    I'd
certainly recommend the Wierd tapes to anyone who was interested in
getting some early live Hawkwind and I wish he'd do some more!

> now some questions:
>
> 1) does someone knows the story behind the - eh, pretty different - 'Slap it
> on de Table' on just mentioned Weird 103 / W&S boot? (is it a studio freak
> out?, it don't sounds too live to me...)

Umm - I should have checked this up.  I think it's on the Anthology
tracklist which means that, if so, then it'll be mentioned in Brian
Tawn's booklet that came with it.    I don't think there's anything
special behind it though - probably studio freakout describes it pretty
well!   Douglas In The Jungle has some connection to Doug Smith I think
- but I hasten to say that I've no idea what!

I also understand that Brian Tawn's 'Hawkfan' advertised some of the
Wierd Tapes as they were issued so if you've got back copies of those
you might be able to get some idea of exact issue dates.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk