[Moorcock] Newsgroup Proposal (semi-topical)

David Zeiger dzeiger at NETCOM.COM
Wed Oct 4 03:09:33 EDT 1995

> I've posted a proposal for the creation of alt.fan.michael.moorcock in
> alt.config.  If all the MM fans on the list would help drive the group
> through by posting there in support of the group, we could finally take
> the non-musical discussion off of the list (not that it's been
> overwhelming of late, but...)

As someone who used to regularly contribute to alt.config (I still read
it, but I don't have time to post much anymore), I can almost guarantee
that the group, under that name, will get unbelieveably crappy
propagation.  Worse than alt.music.blueoystercult even (and that group
had a bogus control message...)

The reasons are twofold...

1) If alt is the sewer of usenet, alt.fan is the sludge at the bottom.
alt.fan is widely regarded as continining little but joke/revenge
newsgroups (witness the proliferation of alt.fan.(my roommate) type
groups).

2) Periods are used as hierarchy seperators, not name seperators.
alt.fan.michael.moorcock therefore creates an alt.fan.michael
hierarchy (each peroid creates a new subdirectory in the news
directories of any given site).  Of course, each name segment has
to by less than 14 characters, so alt.fan.michael-moorcock won't
work either.  alt.fan.moorcock or alt.fan.m-moorcock would be
much better, naming-wise.
            David Zeiger              dzeiger at netcom.com

Windows 95: The Dracula of Operating Systems--it sucks up all your
memory, bleeds your hard drive dry, and only works an average of
12 hours out of every 24.