No coffee in a few days

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Thu Nov 30 13:51:41 EST 1995

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Ted O. Jackson wrote:

> > > I've asked Buck this Q several times...he says that the Beach Boys are a
> > > definate influence, I will have to root the chat logs to see whom he says are
> >
> > The Beach Boys? Are you sure about this? Apparently Buck does have quite
> > a sense of humour....
> >
> > "I ain't playin' no surf music. I'm gonna play some *heavy* music...."
> > Dave
>  This isn't the send-up you may think.  Remember for us old farts,
> the Beach Boys were pretty cool for awhile.  Buck's no 18 years old
> anymore.  Also, I remember reading an interview w/Buck in 'Guitar
> Player' way back when, and he said that his influences were surf
> music, and Danny Kalb from the 'Blues Project.'  I don't really hear
> the connection in his playing, but the tone of the interview was
> serious, and I don't think he was putting anyone on.
> theo

OK, I can buy that. I wasn't implying that the BBs hadn't made any good
music; it's just that I also can't hear any influence in Buck's playing.
I'm sure when (way back) Buck was featured in Kerrang's Guitar Heroes
section he listed Clapton, Beck and Page as his influences.....though
given Buck's own particular style I must say I can't really hear them in
his playing either.

Dave