Oh We Have Coffee! Dr. Bob!

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Tue Nov 21 15:15:00 EST 1995

>Taking a cue from AB, ROBO, et. al., I fired up the 4 cup mini-brewer this
>morning here in the office while reading my digest.  Hadn't used it in a
long
>time, but since joining this list I have a strange urge for the stuff.
>Dumped in an extra tablespoon or two and I'm ready to go.

Try some Torgo Blend.  Like me you will be posting forever.  Mmmm, Mmm Good!

>>>stuff deleted<<<
Which would you find more depressing-BOC packing a 500 seat club, or BOC
playing to 1000 in a stadium that seats 20,000?
>>>stuff deleted<<<

>For my money, I'll take the stadium.  Give me 50 ft. Godzillas, and Harleys
>on stage!  Wouldn't depress me at all unless I wasn't one of the 1000.

After reading your review on the Silo, I think only a show there (bad
accoustics) and a puke opening act is the only reason to be negative about
seeing the Oyster Boys play.  Hey they can play in my backyard with
accoustic stuff and I'd be happy.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
There are probably thousands of absolutely fantastic albums out there that
failed miserably.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
<> Stuff deleted<> What makes a classic?  (See, drinking coffee while in
these
contemplative moods is a dangerous thing)

In my caffiene induced state a classic is anything older than something new
of the same thing that just dosen't feel, sound or taste the same.  Classic
radio though is the only exception to the rule.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
There's the issue of the record company promoting the band and the album.
And, I believe that is what is going on in the music world (i.e. what's hot
and what's not) has alot to do with it.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
>I agree.  Well said!  Its just a shame that the so-called decision makers
>make what I think are alot of bad decisions.  I reference my discussion
with
>the buyer from "The Wall" in a previous post as an example.  There is
nothing
>better that I'd like to do than start with middle management, follow the
>strings up to the ivory tower (Triumph reference here) and have a good talk
>with the "authorities" on what's hot and what's not.  Apparently, it takes
>more than the wallet to get through to these guys.

Oh so true! What the hell do record buyers (store owners/mangement) listen
to on their free time I wonder.  Hard to believe its the crap they're
selling nowadays.

>>>stuff deleted<<<
It was definitely a problem with the sound MIX, and not the band's playing
ability.
>>>stuff deleted<<<
>I agree.  I thought that's what I said.  Here is a band with oodles of
energy
>that could wipe out a stadium, and they have "Mixmaster DJ Jazzy Deaf" for
>sound man.  I still think the acustics of the venue have something to do
with
>it also, and I guess that ultimately, its the band's fault for not sounding
>so good since they chose that venue (i.e.-clubs) which does NOT take
>advantage of their potential.

Hey when someone pays your fee to play then play you must.  If the venue
sucks then the choice is too skip the fee and venue next time around or take
the money and run.  Since the band hasn't replaced the accoustic equipment
for at least a month, they may have to do a few more Silo's.  You know
though I think you have started a great trend here Dr. Bob, perhaps all
reviews should contian some details about the venue.  Stuff like this could
come in handy when making show preparation plans.

>A word here to those that may have been upset with my honest opinion of the
>concert.  When your favorite band sets high standards by musically kicking
>your ass, and then, in later appearances does not live up to that standard,
>the review is going to be percieved as negative.  But is that the fault of
>the reviewer who was given those high standards by the band in the first
>place?  (extra gulp of java to contemplate this)   I think that BOC on a
bad
>day is better than almost any other band I can think of on a good day, but
>that doesn't mean that I have to settle for mediocrity.

Thats why you carry the PhD title my man.  Does the chant "We're not worthy.
We're not worthy." ring a bell?

Theo writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
I kinda like seeing BOC in clubs.  When they were playing stadiums, they
were
often real far away, when I couldn't get good seats.  In clubs, you're right
next to the band, and can see every expression on their faces. <stuff
skipped> Also, at clubs, there's an excellent chance to see the band after
the gig to talk to them and thank them for the show
>>>stuff deleted<<<
>...and get the Harley on stage...and get
>Godzilla blazing away.  Congratulatory messages could be sent via e-mail.

I got to see the Harley on stage.  The club staff gaurded that thing like it
was made out of Gold.  Who's is it anyways, Eyes?  As for Zilla, twould be
cool but I rather see Danny grab a zilla suit, during the break for In Thee
and come back on stage breathing fire and thumping footsteps, wait a minute,
breathing fire, maybe we can get Gene Simmons to do this bit, as long as
Danny the one actually playing bass in the background.  More coffee, ahhhh!

AB writes:
>>>stuff deleted<<<
Must give you one raspberry though, Dr. Bob, for not recognizing Flaming
Telepaths "the joke's on you."
>>>stuff deleted<<<
>Must give you one opportunity to kiss my ass though, AB, for not
recognizing
>that I was reading blurred, runny writing from a soda-stained napkin and
that
>my memory falters when my ears are still ringing 2 days after a concert.

No excuses Dr. Bob.  A beer stained napkin makes sense but if your sitting
there drinking Dr. Peppers instead no wonder your ears are ringing.  I loved
this retort.  Stuff like this made me enroll in your moonargraphy course in
the first place.

>Just kidding, bro, you know I'm just joshing.  Seriously, though, I'll try
>not to let it happen again. :-)  <-----how the hell did that get there!!!

See above.

>Well, the coffee is almost gone, so just a few miscellaneous thoughts:

>1. ROBO, was that you in the white BOC shirt with blue sleeves at The Silo?

No. I think Robo responded that he did the politically correct thing, since
all BOC fans are classified as Headbangers by a rock encyclopedia, he wore
his biker jacket, undoubtly covered with the Symbol.  That whirling diverish
at the front of the Stage was Robo banging his head.  (Just kidding guitar
man)

>2. AB, the package arrived this a.m.  Also, now that you have your PC at
>home, be careful, its more addictive than video games when we were kids.
>Don't forget your family.

Any clues yet or do you want me to send some more.  Not a really fair test I
grant you since the music is either fairly new or really old.  About the pc,
no problems there, its more popular with the kids than I am and I can't get
near it anyway.  With my horde I think I'm going to invest in a lan and
string a bunch of thinkpads throughout the house.  We might as well get
Internetitis together.

Cool stuff Dr. Bob and remember, "We're not worthy, We're not worthy."

AB ROTFL - I fgured this one out with a lotta help from my friends.

 -Dr. Bob
rkohl at state.de.us